Saturday 2 August 2014

Supermarkets vs Shopping Local


I like to consider myself a bit of a savy shopper, and being engaged to an accountant I don't have much choice in the matter! So whilst doing my weekly visit's to the butcher and farm shop this morning, I decided to blog about the cost of shopping, why I shop local and give you a little cost comparison also. I know most people are of the opinion that butchers and farm shops are expensive, well I'm going to show you how wrong you are.
 
 
 Why I Shop Local 
 
 There are a few reasons; the main one being I hate the supermarkets, I'm not just talking about the actual visit, although the traipsing down each isle of food trying to tempt you into buying all the sugary goodness you didn't originally crave, the family that believe the weekly shop is a family day out, the fact its "cheaper" to buy 6 but I only wanted 4, the depressing beep of the till, does all drain your happiness a bit. I'm also talking about the superstore cultures morals, the sheer dominance they are trying to impose on the market and their lack of respect for employees - zero hour contracts?!
 
Benefits of Shopping Local
 
 
  • I  like to know where my food has come from
  • I like my food fresh as possible
  • I like to try and eat healthy (most of the time) and everyone know that fresher = healthier.
  • Better for the environment, there is less transportation of the products. You are eating the produce as it is in season, so although you may be going without kale currently, it hasn't had to be shipped half way around the world before it gets to your smoothie! Also our local farm shop will stack your weeklies in a re- used cardboard box, so less plastic bags. (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!)  
  • Great customer service, including advice and recommendations with regards to their products.
  • Supporting your local business & community
  • It can be cheaper! 
  • And the fact it just makes me feel happy because of all the above.  

My Weekly Shop: Price Comparison
 
Butcher:
  • 6 Sausages
  • 6 Bacon Rashers
  • 2 Beef Burgers
  • 1 Pound of Mince
  • Dozen eggs (12)
Farm Shop:
  • Whole wheat Loaf of Bread
  • Strawberries 1kg
  • Raspberries 200g
  • Lettuce x 2
  • Onion
  • Avocados x 2
  • Bulb of Garlic
  • New Potatoes 500g
  • Cucumber
  • Broccoli 250g
  • Red Pepper x 1
  • Green Peppers x 2
  • Spinach 200g
  • Pineapple
  • Apples x 4
  • Bananas x 7
  • Baking potatoes x 2
  • Lemon Sole Goujons 500g
  • Sweet Potatoes 400g
As it was the first shop of the month I done a bit of a top up shop at our local budget supermarket:
  • Orange Squash 1 litre
  • Blackcurrant Squash 1 Litre
  • Peach Ice Tea 1.5Litre
  • Kidney Beans 2 tins
  • Olive Oil 1 litre
  • Tomato Puree 200g
  • Celery 700g
  • Whole Wheat Pitta Breads x 6
  • Humous 300g
  • Ketchup 560g
  • Mixed Nuts 200g
  • Peanut Butter 454g
  • Mayonnaise 500ml
  • Whole Wheat Crisp Bread 250g
  • Sweetcorn 300g tins x 2
  • Beef OXO Cubes x12
  • Unsalted Butter 250g
  • Unsweetened Soya Milk 1 litre x 2 
  • Toothpaste 100ml
  • Cotton Buds 200
  • Basmati Rice 1kg
  • Branson Bake Beans 410g x 4
  • Chopped Tomatoes 500g x 2 
So what I have done is gone onto one of the big dog supermarket websites and replicated my shop, as I would if I had been shopping there for the week. So I haven't chosen the most expensive for everything however I haven't always simply chosen the cheapest either. Its just an honest shop.
 
Below are my results:
 
Shopping - Local £58.96
Shopping - Supermarket £80.47
Shopping Local Total Saving £21.51
 
So there you have it, even if all the benefits I listed above don't concern you I bet you wouldn't mind an extra £20 in your pocket a week!
 
Carla x
 

No comments:

Post a Comment